Here at War Babies, we operate strictly on donations, and to date, most of it has been paid for out of our own pockets. We handle each case individually based on their situation and need. Although we do not charge a fee for our services, there are some expenses involved, such as purchasing DNA kits, postage for communications and other operating essentials. Donations are heavily relied on to offset the cost of successfully reconnecting families.
Operation Expenses include:
- DNA Kits (typically $99 with shipping unless there are sales available)
- Cost of maintaining website (approx. $140 annually)
- Subscriptions to Ancestry and other locating services (approx. $600 annually)
- Administrative expenses for printing and shipping kits, etc. (we keep this very minimal, less than $10 per package)
- Travel expenses to work with individuals (typically fuel for meeting clients, less than $10 per trip)
We try to operate as digitally and paper-free as possible to keep expenses low and lessen our environmental footprint. We do not include internet access, computer and device equipment and phone service in our operating budget. Our volunteers spend countless hours doing research and reaching out to individuals for free.